baby chicks in living room

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebeccarafferty, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    We have a problem. we hatched 24 little peeps. in our living room. we had a small brooder then my husband made a larger one that sits on my coffee table. they have now been there four the last 4 weeks to build there outside room in our barn.. ok we have tried for the last two nights to leave them out there with heat lamps and bedding. but hubby hears them at dark screaming and he brings them back in.. HELP he is suffering from empty nest syndrome. I also have 7 peeps that just hatched 2 weeks ago and 30 more coming saturday,,, any advice PLEASE

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    It sounds like you've got your hands full. [​IMG]
    Do you have a thermometer to check the temperature?
    Their brooder area/coop needs to be about 95 degrees F and it should also be draft free .

3. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    yes it is draft free and temp gauge does read the right temp and we also have the temp reading so he can see it in the house... I think he needs a time out maybe... no really how do I get him to leave them out with the rabbits,, we have about 12 of those with babies and he would have them in here if I let him...

4. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Do they have feed and water?

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe you could try taking their brooder out to the coop. That way, you would be leaving them outside, in their new coop, but still in their brooder, where they're comfortable. By this age, they're probably flying up on the side trying to explore, and, after doing that, they'll become more comfortable with their coop. I bet within a couple of days, the brooder will just be in their way!

2 people like this.
  6. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    yes. they do.. our first peeps we bought from a feed store over a year ago.. but now they are all laying working chickens so hubby said he was going to raise peeps. he has cared for these since they hatched.. I don't think the peeps are the problem.. just want to know how to get hubby to let go..and let the peeps grow up to the next stage..I guess is my question... has anyone else had this problem... he is pretty attached to them

7. rebeccarafferty

rebeccarafferty New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Kirtland nm
    will try that tomorrow. thanks

8. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Haha i have the same problem when i raise chicks, not sure how I get over it though.....

9. Brookshire11

Brookshire11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    Uh Oh....I'm going on my 3rd week of living room chicks...
    They're my first. Sounds like I may have trouble...lol

10. onwingsofdragons

onwingsofdragons Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    North Texas
    Let him go camp out with the babies for the night or at least until they settle down so he knows they're okay and he's just a sucker? [​IMG] My birds still go off at bedtime and some of them are pretty old! ... come to think of it, so do my featherless and furless children lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by