Baby chicks in subzero temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sparrowsnest, Feb 3, 2015.

1. sparrowsnest

sparrowsnest Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Northern Maine
    Our hens have decided that January/February in N Maine is the time to hatch chicks. We've had 5 hatch two weeks ago and we brought them inside to a dog cage in the kitchen. We have a large box in the barn that we built out of old window screens last year, but its too big to bring inside. Another hen is broody and I candled a couple of the eggs and we'll probably have more by the end of the week. A neighbor gave us a 50's Hudson brooder that I am going to use if we hatch more. Just want to double check that I shouldn't put any new chicks with the older chicks yet? Also, how long should I wait to move them to the larger brooder/grow out box in the barn(with a heat lamp)? This is our first time hatching our own. I would have liked to have kept them with the mamas, but space and temps aren't allowing that right now. Also, the brooder has a mesh floor with a tray underneath to catch the droppings. Will this be ok? I've always had the chicks in a box with shavings. Thanks for any advice.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did the mamas not keep them warm enough?

4. sparrowsnest

sparrowsnest Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Northern Maine
    I don't think so.....there were 7 in the first hatch. I found two dead a few feet from the nesting box. That's when I decided to get them inside. I don't know exactly why they died, they looked fine, but I wasn't taking any chances after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by