Baby chicks in the coop and in the house, when to get them all together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lelilamom, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    One of our Buffs went broody this summer and stole a bunch of eggs and hatched them. We crept in there when she was taking a bathroom break and stole some out of her nest because she kept getting to many (she stole 6 every day and her nest got too crowded). Long story even longer, we ended up with 6 babies in the coop and 22 in the house. She lost a few (literally lost them, we don't know what happened to them) and now has just 2, 4 week olds running around with her in the run. We have 3 week olds in the house.

How do I integrate the 3 week olds out into the coop and get her to accept them? There are 20 other hens and 1 roo out in the coop/run. They leave the 2 chicks alone. It's getting down into the 50's at night outside, but it'll be colder soon. The coop is insulated but not heated and well ventilated, dry and not drafty. The babies in the house are pretty much feathered out, have the heat lamp on rarely at this point and are wreaking havoc in my basement.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    I read a few threads on this subject and most folks said to keep them separated until almost fully grown. Well, that's not really an option so I threw the 4 week old, fully feathered chicks in the coop yesterday. The big hens left hem alone all night and all day today. I went out this evening to make sure there was enough food to go around and one baby had gotten pecked to death. Two more were running around trying to avoid a similar fate and the rest were still in the coop eating and drinking the food I put in there.

I knew I might lose a few, but I don't have a separate holding pen except my basement, and I can't have 12 birds flying around. Another Buff has gone broody on me and I'm going out twice a day taking her eggs from her so she doesn't hatch anymore. I don't need more chicks.

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Did you try putting up an ad on Craigs List for them? someone would have taken them... The chicks were to old to be introduced to Mom but to young to be 'thrown into the coop" I don't mean this to sound harsh because its not but had you thought of the fact that you couldnt keep 22 chicks in the house before you decided to incubate them? Be prepared , you will more than likely lose all of them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    You need to give them to somebody else who can take proper care of them!

5. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    We sold a bunch off craigs list and have signs up at the local farm feed store. I've called local farms and offered them for free. No one wants them. I had hoped to sell them all, but it seems there is an over abundance of chicks all of a sudden. We are setting up a section of the coop that is separate from the rest of the run so they can grow up with the big girls without being hurt.

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Can you put some low screening even just bent chicken wire or much better on a frame with legs ... in the coop that the babies can run under maybe with a light bulb above part of it for a little warmth if it gets too cold?If not that maybe a table you cut the legs off real low on?or screened off area would be best ..
    The babies can get in low area and the hens and roos cant get to them.
    They need some protection at this age.
    Dont let them just be pecked to death They are afraid every minute this way .Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Thats what I did also, the chicks that I hatched out from the incubator were moved out to the coop over the weekend, they are seperated in what used to be our storage area, the adults can see and hear them but cannot get to them. Once they are a few months older and can better get away if needed they will be allowed to free range with the other chickens. We had a brooder set up on the porch and thats where they stayed for the first two weeks. LOL, I dont do house animals of any kind [​IMG]
    I wish we were near, I responded to an ad on craigslist for free two week old chicks but they were already gone [​IMG] I would love to add a few differant breeds to my flock

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Exellent advice for a quick fix

9. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    That's what we are doing - putting some screening in. The rooster is actually protecting them to a point. It's our Barred Rocks and Amber Hybrids that are beating them up. The other girls are leaving them alone.

10. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I just read advice that talked about an overly aggressive chicken, Have you thought that perhaps removing them from your flock would solve many of your problems? A peck to get out of the way if far differant than an attack and should not be tolerated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by