Baby Chicks in the USPS System

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by geareduplyn, Aug 7, 2008.

1. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I have a batch of baby chicks caught up in the Postal System, and I am livid about the Postal Employees blase attitude to say the least. I finally managed to get some current tracking information about noon today, but never did find the chicks.

Label/Receipt Number: EB76 2051 267U S
    Detailed Results:

Processed, August 07, 2008, 7:32 am, WEST COLUMBIA, SC 29172
    Processed, August 06, 2008, 4:09 pm, INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46251
    Acceptance, August 05, 2008, 1:31 pm, FRANKTON, IN 46044

Why would it take over a day to get them out of IN? The mail trucks here come from Columbia down their daily run in the early AM. About 4:30 to 5 AM, so the chicks got to Columbia after the truck left they will be here in the morning, perhaps because I never did find anyone who could physically point at the box,and say they are here, but I don't have much hope for them. Who is responsible for them? Is there no recourse? Why pay for a service that is not acted upon? If they had been sent Priority, as all hatcheries do, I would not be so upset, but Express Mail should mean something.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    That really sucks. My mail carrier made a special trip to my house when they heard the peeping.

3. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I had this happen too! SCARY. i ordered through Randall Burkey and they were way late. The Post office stayed open late just so i could finally get them. they were all ill. i was surprised they survived. the gro-gel I had on hand probably saved their life though we did loose 2 of the shipped birds. RB never could give me a tracking number, you were lucky to get that!

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Well no one can beat my story. They got to my post office and went to the wrong house. They were mine and some else's order together so they went to the same house. [​IMG]

5. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I managed to double post this thread somehow, but it probably needs to be said twice anyway.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You can get your postage back, just check your receipt to see how many days guarantee it is when you ship express. It should say next day by 3 or two days by noon.

At least you can get the postage back if you have to reship.

I take my birds into the Spokane Valley because if I ship them from Newman Lake it takes an extra day. It's about 14 miles further to the other post office.

Next time you ship you can see if another post office around you is faster. Just go to the USPS website and click where is says calculate postate.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I got mine from RB also, they took 3 days to get to me, I didnt have much hope either !!!!! Lost one chick and could tell the others were getting weak !!! Sad !!!!

8. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Quote:I got mine from RB also, they took 3 days to get to me, I didnt have much hope either !!!!! Lost one chick and could tell the others were getting weak !!! Sad !!!!

RB was awesome when i ordered but thing collapsed that last week, I would not have ordered if not for the barnevelders and Mcmurrays inability to fullfill any of my order

i placed my order late may. got a ship date of july 9. on the 3rd I got a refund....no call so I called them to find out why and it was because they no longer could fullfill and ordered breed. i was okay but wat made me upset is that they said they called and never did.

Then the chickies shipped and they apparently have no way to track them. They mailed them on a wednesday in TX to me in Maine and had no way to tell where they were. they were to arrive that Friday morn...no chicks
    Friday afternoon....no chicks- called them and they said if they arrived DOA on Monday I would get a refund. Awesome a box of dead chicks! cool:/
    saturday morn.....no chicks- and of course they are not around at all on weekends
    saturday afternoon-panicked call from post office and they stayed open for me to get 'em. they were so sad...ugh

for me the chicks are great, what I ordered but customer service past the initial ordering process stinks

9. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Oh, this makes me sick! I feel so sorry for you and your chicks! These hatcheries have a responsibility to us and these innocent babies to ship them overnight-PERIOD! They would rarely, if ever, get lost, and they'd be given great priority like mine were last week. (and the baby chick consumers need to be willing to pay the price monetarily for overnight shipping as well) Please keep us posted! Prayers eveyone! The weather everywhere is not forgiving!

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008

RB was awesome when i ordered but thing collapsed that last week, I would not have ordered if not for the barnevelders and Mcmurrays inability to fullfill any of my order

i placed my order late may. got a ship date of july 9. on the 3rd I got a refund....no call so I called them to find out why and it was because they no longer could fullfill and ordered breed. i was okay but wat made me upset is that they said they called and never did.

Then the chickies shipped and they apparently have no way to track them. They mailed them on a wednesday in TX to me in Maine and had no way to tell where they were. they were to arrive that Friday morn...no chicks
    Friday afternoon....no chicks- called them and they said if they arrived DOA on Monday I would get a refund. Awesome a box of dead chicks! cool:/
    saturday morn.....no chicks- and of course they are not around at all on weekends
    saturday afternoon-panicked call from post office and they stayed open for me to get 'em. they were so sad...ugh

for me the chicks are great, what I ordered but customer service past the initial ordering process stinks

ohhh they were fast taking my order also and the shipping date was only 4 days after I placed it, so that was nice. all i can think of is they really didnt ship the date they told me!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by