Baby chicks in winter coop will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Triplell, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I have 4 chicks that I had to put in the barn as I need the brooder space for my new chicks that will be hatching. It is usually 30 to 45 degrees in the barn coop and I put 3 ducks and 4 chicks with 2 heat lamps. They are in the same pen but divided in half for 2 pens. The chicks are shivering a little, will they be okay with the 2 heat lamps? I will be putting at least 10 more chicks and 10 more ducklings in this area but then divided into three as the older chicks will be about 45 days older and I don't want problems. The coop is covered with good ventilation. In the other section of the coop their is 12 adults chickens that I plan on combining them all this summer. Any advice would be great. [​IMG]

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    So are the chicks that are shivering 45 days old? Are they fully feathered? How close is the heat light from the floor?

3. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    yes they are 45 days old and are only half feathered out. The heat lamps are around 18 inches from the shavings (bedding). They ducks are the same age and they are doing good. I put the 2 heat lamps right next to each other so that it can be warmer and a wider area. Thank you for responding.

4. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Well after doing my late night check at 10 pm the ducks are in their glory and the poor chicks were shivering like crazy. I had checked them at 8pm and they were doing great. The temp went down only 4 degrees, so I brought them back in the house. I will try again in another week and see how it goes.

5. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    Keep them in a separate brooder...like a box indoors. You ca still have the space for the other chicks but the poor babies! if they were shivering like that then theyre cold!!

6. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you , I did bring them back inside. they are doing great now. the ducks seem to be okay in the barn and within the chicken coop. My rooster was picking on my smallest chicken so I put her in with the ducklings and she has already decided to be mom to the three . I might loose her as a layer right now but she now can get her strength back and be a foster momma so this is just fine with me.[​IMG] I only wonder if she is gonna be a foster to the new chicks and ducklings when they come. Only time will tell. thank you again for answer back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by