Baby chicks in winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nfrost, Jan 24, 2012.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    So i have a problem keepin baby chicks waterer from freezing, if i were to put a heat lamp just high enough to keep the water from freezing will the get the hen and the chicks depended ont heat lamp? or do u think it would be ok?

2. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    You could always put a seedling heating pack and put it under the waterer.[​IMG]

3. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    whats a seedling heater? and im just worried about a fire with a heat lamp i am 99 percent sure there wont be a fire cause i hang it by wire twice and twisty tie it and tie it with strong above the straw

4. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    or buy a heated waterer. I bought one for the coop but I went to get one for the run....Farm and Fleet were all out..Yikes... Heading to TSC tomorrow with crossed fingers!

5. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Bought a floating heated "Water De-Icer" at Rural King for $14.99 to put in a rubber type pool 3' x 2' x 10 inches deep. It works great for keeping water from turning into ice for ducks. There are also bird bath heaters that you might be able to use depending on size of waterer. Check online for different type of heaters with Lowes, TSC, Rural King, etc. type store for more information.

However, with small chicks about the only answer is: Move mom and chicks to a warm place in your garage, or basement, with a heat lamp in one corner of the confined area so the chicks can get under it to keep warm. Install another heat lamp, if needed, at another corner above the waterer. If you have them inside your house, you shouldn't need the lamp over the waterer. I would, however, have a heat lamp available for the chicks inside, or outside, your house. Unless you keep your basement temp above 70 degrees, they will probably need the heat anyway.

6. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    You can get a seedling heater at a nursery. It is for starting seeds. Keep in mind with a heat lamp, that to do any good it will have to be pretty low. That means that if something happens and the light bulb were to break, it would still be hot when it hits the straw. The seedling mat is a great alternative and much less expensive. If I'm not mistaken, it only comes on when the temperature reaches a certain degree, as opposed to the heat lamp which is on all the time. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    you can also get a fish aquariam submersible heater that you can regulate the temp on.....worth a try if you have access to electricity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by