1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks keep dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KarateHorse, Jan 6, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We had 5 chicks in a brooder. We got 4 from a friend and we hatched one in a incubator. They have all got along fine. The chick we hatched was born on December 22. The other four chicks are about 11 or 12 days old. We have them in a cage that we have raised other chicks in. We have raised a lot of other chicks in the same cage and they are still alive and healthy. The water and feeder that we have in the brooder with them is brand new. I have seen them all eating and drinking. Today one of the chicks died. I found her laying in the brooder dead. We buried her and a couple hours later we found another chick dead. I looked over the three remaining chicks and they seem completely healthy. I looked at every part of their body and I see nothing wrong. One of the chicks constantly chirps as loud as she can. Is there something wrong with her? What caused the other two chicks to die?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    What kind of heat do you have them under? What are you feeding them?

If you could post some pics of your set-up, maybe we could help figure out what's wrong.

Sorry about the loss of your chicks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

I'm sorry for your loss.

Are they eating, drinking, pooping and active?
    Anything you are doing differently from raising previous chicks - new bedding, heat source, etc.?

You mention that you have one that is peeping loudly and constantly. This is a distress peep, something is wrong.

Since you have had 2 die in a short period of time and you are raising them in a brooder/cage that has been used to raise others chicks, the first thing that comes to mind is Cocci. Treatment is with Corid.

Check the temps in your brooder to make sure it's adjusted properly, also that they have room to get away from heat if they feel like they need it.

4. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    They eat, drink, and all poop just fine. They have a place to get away from the heat. They are all active. I have seen no signs of illness. There has been no change in bedding, heating or feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by