Baby Chicks legs wont work, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdeans, Dec 26, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a barred rock chick that is about a day old. Her legs are not mobile. There are not just out to the side, she seems to just drag them behind her. Any ideas? Thanks!

And I did try posting it under emergencies but got no response so I am trying here.

Edited for a mistake

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Vitamin deficiency can cause that. Try putting Vitamins and Electrolytes in the water and make sure the baby is getting a few drops every hour. Some give PolyVisol children vitamins to help but I am not sure with a day old if that is appropriate. Check back in the Emergency section. Someone who know more should be along to help soon.

Trying to save weak chicks is often times not successful. It is hard to accept that some don't make it.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I cull chicks that aren't 100% right from the get go, it is best for your whole flock in the long run.

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It is all a vitamin thing, that's all and 100% curable if dealt with first few days -- A couple of drops of "plain" (unflavored) cod liver oil for about 3-4 days in a row will usually do the trick. Use an eye dropper putting the drops on the end of the chicks beak-- it'll swallow the drop. Soon, you won't be able to discern the difference in that chick and the rest of them.

Also, I usually separate the chick until it is standing from the clutch-- its own brooder with ONE other chick. This chick will keep it company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by