Baby chicks light needs.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whitetail, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Whitetail

Whitetail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    I bought Storeys guide to raising chickens, and have also bought everything from TSC to raise chickens, i have 7 mixed specialty breed chicks. I'm awaiting the arrival of more pullets. But in the book it talks about a dim light, and than the heat lamp i believe? I was wondering, do i need to leave a white light on in the house 24/7 as well as the heat lamp?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    You don't need to leave your house light on. People use many different types of heat lamp, I have a clip-on work light that is pretty bright but gives a lot of heat. It's preferable if you have a red one though, most people think, as this doesn't impact the chicks' sleep. We could only get our hands on a white one though, so that should do fine too.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i only used the heat lamp in their young days. if the day time was so warm i thought the heat lamp would be too hot for them, i would use a regular light with the heat lamp off.
    i know it's not relevant for you at this point, but i have found it to be amazing how they are afraid of the dark. mine are 6 wks now & they still want a little light at night.
    good luck with your chickies

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Also im having trouble getting the light set right, i see two panting, but the other chickens are just fine, but the two with their beaks open a bit which kinda looks like panting? or do chickens sit with their beaks open a bit? The problem is i dont know how old these chickens are, they have wing feathers which seem to be forming nicely, they actually look like feathers. I'm just trying to get the temp correct. I'm gonna try and reset it better tomarrow.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If they're too hot, you could try raising the light a little. Perhaps the two that are panting are older than the others? In that case, they'll need a different amount of heat, most likely. Maybe put the light towards one end of the brooder so the chickens can have a choice of warm or cold end. :lol:

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Mouth open is most likely panting. It may be too warm for the chicks. Some people use the temperature only to set up the brooder and then after that use the chick behavior to adjust the temperature. If they are panting and staying away from the heat lamp, raise it up a little.

7. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks were panting last night. I moved the tote out from under the heat lamp some (my lamp is already raised about 3 1/2 feet to 4 feet from the floor) and put cool water in their water container. I also turned on the ceiling fan. I waited about an hour and went back in and turned the ceiling fan off. A couple were under the heat lamp at one end of the tote, one was in the center of the tote, and the other two were at the cool end of the tote. They were sleeping or half asleep. If you can't move your heat lamp any higher, try moving what you have your chicks in out from under the heat lamp some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by