1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks look weak and are skinny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigspringshatchery, May 15, 2011.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I hatched off about 20 something chicks for the Easter hatch and all of a sudden a lot of look very weak and are skinny. I've already lost 4-5 chicks. Why is this? I have them under a heat lamp like always, their on med chick starter, and I've been putting corid in their water. I see them eaten and drinking but they still look like they are not eating. WhT could this be? I have 15 bcms coming from Marans of ms and would hate to lose some of those.

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:Why are you giving them Corid? Do they have cocci?

Maybe they don't like the taste of the water.

3. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing you may want to slack off the medications and just go organic. When we use to much of a vitamin or mineral it may become built up and do the opposite, and cause harm. I give electrolytes for only a boost in the first 3 or 4 days after hatching. I discontinue the use of medication in water. Do you have well water or chlorine ? chlorinated water and medication can be toxic and deadly combination to poultry. I give my young flock Purina chick starter, grower. This is medicated and is given the correct dose. I trust the brand. I will go threw 40 pounds and then go to non medicated. I also want to create a awareness for everyone. PLEASE CHANGE YOUR BARN YARD SHOES WHEN YOU GO TO THE FEED STORE ! Some folks do not have good husbandry and will not have good hygiene, they are taking there illness and spreading it to all of us who have worked so hard to keep a healthy flock. I hope your baby's get well soon.

4. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Why are you giving them Corid? Do they have cocci?

Maybe they don't like the taste of the water.

Bc the way they are acting looks like cocci. Not moving much with wings droopy. And I last 10 poults last year around 8 weeks old to cocci. So now I'm a lil jumpy on sick birds.

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Do they have bloody stools?

ETA: I see you are in Alabama. What is the temp in the brooder? And how old are they?

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    If they are looking worse by day since hatching and you have not changed anything I would put them on plain water and offer the food and see what happens. Sometimes we can over think mother nature. Are you in town and on city water? I am in the country and on well water. My chicks do just fine whether its me feeding and watering or a broody hen teaching them to drink from a mud puddle.

7. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:They were hatched on Easter. No sure of a temp but I have a 75 watt bulb on them. I put another bulb on them and they look a little better. Could being to cold do this. I just realized they are 75 watt bulbs and I usually use 100.

8. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Theyve just been like this for about a week. I live in the country but we have city water and also well water but I give all my chickens the city water bc our well water has a lot of iron in it and some times it looks muddy. I might be over thinking it, I just hate to loose baby chicks. It kills me but I knkw it's for the best to kill one that's suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by