Baby chicks may have mites...need treatment advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leghorn Junction, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Leghorn Junction

Leghorn Junction Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    3-day-old chicks scratching their necks, scratching under their wings with their beaks, and twitching/shaking their heads. I can't see anything, but could they have mites? They've been only in the house. Is it safe to use a little Permethrin powder in the bottom of their brooder when I change their bedding? Or could it something else? Thanks!!

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    I've used Sevin 5%(?) for both our flock and a baby starling that was infested with red mites. I practically covered the baby starling with that stuff, and he survived. I've never used it directly on chicks, but if it didn't hurt the starling, then I doubt it would hurt chicks.
    Hope this helps!

3. Leghorn Junction

Aug 10, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much. I may sprinkle just a tiny bit when I change their bedding...I'm sure it can't hurt.

4. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're definitely better off USING it than NOT using it. Mites will kill chicks very quickly through blood-sucking and anaemia. Its sure sounds like it would be worth a shot.

5. Leghorn Junction

Aug 10, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by