Baby Chicks Maybe Diarhea? Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sms1225, May 6, 2008.

1. sms1225

sms1225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have chicks which are 6 days old. I have been paying attention to their poop, some looks thick and kind of lumpy on the pine shavings, but others I have seen is a small pool of dark liquid. Is this diarhea? What should I do. This is my first batch of chicks.

Thanks for all your help

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Alot of things can cause diarhea in chicks. Too hot, too cold, different food, new treat, etc... Their little intestinal tracts are very sensitive.

As long as they are active, eating, drinking, and acting normal, I wouldn't worry.

Matt

3. sms1225

Feb 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Matt,

Thanks so much for the info. They are healthy, active, eating and drinking all the time. The temperature is good, they are all spread out, not huddled, and not on the edges, they are walking or flitting around everywhere. I think they are very happy. Thanks, you have relieved my fears. Our of 25 I have lost one, around 24 hours after arrival, so I was very upset. I'm a little nervous, because I don't want to lose any more. They are all growing fast.

Thanks again.

Susan

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If they have poo that is like melted chocolate every now and again, that is normal. It just shows their plumbing is working. [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm glad this info was posted, especially Cetawin's comparison of the puddle-poo with melted chocolate (although the imagery may cause a drop in chocolate sales for a while... [​IMG] but I had concerns over that very thing. All the babies seemed fine, and I couldn't never catch the culprit or culprits in the act, so now I can relax a bit and just let them continue to grow and practice their "big-chicken" skills like scratching and perching on their tree limb while they wait for their feathers to arrive... [​IMG] [​IMG]

This was not a pretty sight when they got out of the brooder (hardware cloth/wire surround barrier came loose while I was gone) and I came home to a near empty brooder, chicks everywhere, and multiple mounds of regular chickie poop and puddles of dk brown goo over my very light tan (nearly white) kitchen and dining room... thank God we got rid of the carpet ... [​IMG]: [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. sms1225

Feb 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks everyone for your help. I feel better now!!!!!

Susan

7. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Great information here. I was wondering myself about the sometimes runny poo. Love the melted chocolate reference...that is exactly what it looks like [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by