Baby Chicks Not Eating Chick Starter

Yes, I thought they would eat all of it and then I'd refill it once they finished it but they don't they just kick it around and leave a lot of it uneaten so I have been refilling it and taking out what they don't eat that's why I started wondering if they just didn't like it...forgive me if this seems silly lol I'm a nervous mom!! haha
You are doing just fine!

Yes, they will eat it even if they can't scratch it. Putting it in a feeder (either store-bought or DIY) that keeps them from scratching will decrease food waste. This applies to all ages of chickens, but it's especially handy when you have chicks in the brooder because feed that is spilled and gets wet will get smelly quickly.
Thank you! I'll just start using the feeder..

Thank you! I'll just start using the feeder..
Keep in mind that they'll get on top and poop in it, yep more waste. Adding a perch of some sort that is higher will help.
some dirt from your yard
With grass and roots. Sprinkle a small amount of chick grit on top. Since you are using non-medicated feed, this will help them build the resistance that they need as well as give them something to scratch.

Keep in mind that they'll get on top and poop in it, yep more waste. Adding a perch of some sort that is higher will help.

With grass and roots. Sprinkle a small amount of chick grit on top. Since you are using non-medicated feed, this will help them build the resistance that they need as well as give them something to scratch.
Oh ok, so not just a pile of sand or can you add that as well?

Back
Top Bottom