Baby chicks of different ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eirwin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. eirwin

eirwin In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    I'm ready to get a new batch of chicks. Since mail order restricts what I can get, I will buy them localy. Not everyone is getting their chicks in at the same time and not everyone is getting the same breed. I was planning on getting a couple today, Buffs. I also want to get a couple of Barred Rocks, but they will not be available until 1 April from another store. When I get those, would the then two week old Buffs be receptive to having them in the same home?

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Haven't had buffs, but have had chicks 2 weeks apart in the same brooder. I was really worried about the age difference. Took the older ones outside to play in their outside pen and let the newbies get accustomed to the brooder, find the food and water, etc before I brought the older ones back in. I was surprised that they had no problems! They even all slept together in their little chick pile until the older ones started roosting...even one of the tiny guys joined them on the roost! Good luck!

3. Higins00

Higins00 Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Yup, that's right. Just make sure the younger ones are strong enouph to mingle. They should be fine.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have not had a problem with introducing chicks 2-4 weeks apart.
    I had young LF chicks and purchased bantams to add that were 2 weeks old and another set of bantams that were 4 weeks old.
    They were added at different times.
    They all got along fine.
    If you are worried, introduce them at night when it's dark.

[​IMG]

5. eirwin

eirwin In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Thank you so much everybody. I on my way to pick up the new batch.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: