Baby chicks on medicated feed and vaccinated have blood in stool and are dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy39, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Stormy39

Stormy39 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    I have 2 and 4 week old baby chicks that have been vaccinated, are on medicated feed and are having blood in the stool and dying. They are active one minute and dead the next. They are kept in a clean, dry, warm environment. what do I do? Is it still coccidiosis?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would treat for cocidiosis, they might not have built up enough immunity eating the feed yet, though I've never dealt with it, hopefully someone experienced with it can help.

3. Stormy39

May 6, 2013
    I went to town to get the medications to treat them for coccidiosis. I hope that works. I called the local veterinarian and they told me the dosing to give. I have never had it in any of the chickens that I have raised in the last 5 years either. this would be my first experience with this problem. thank you for the advice.

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I am not sure here, but as I understand it, chicks that have been vaccinated do not need medicated food. And perhaps should not have it? You might want to pass that question around and see if double dosing might be part of the problem.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

5. icemanabk

icemanabk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Nebraska
    I know the sites tend to offer vaccinations against marek or coccidiosis. Some sites wont even bother with the cocci one because its really stressful on the newborns. The medicated feed is usually all you need. Mareks is a waste as well, unless you plan on having a big flock. If thrre vaccinated for cocci, and theyre given the medicated feed that contains the medication for it, it nullifies the vaccine apparently.

Ive raised quite a bit of chickens, and even being extremely careful pampering them, handling them, keeping water clean and wiping asses, its just a sad fact that youre going to lose some or a whole bunch for various reasons. I lost one out of a dozen recently and i just found her dead at six weeks. No idea what happened, but she just went :( sorry for your loss, and i hope the next batch goes better.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

If you feed medicated chick feed and vaccinate your chicks for Coccidiosis as well, the two treatments will cancel each other out and you will end up with your young chicks dying from Coccidiosis.

For the umpteenth 1,000,000th time, Medicated chick food does not contain ANY medicine, ZILCH, NADA, ZERO.

Medicated chick food however does contain a synthetic form of protein that the one celled Coccidiosis parasite is unable to degenerate from real Protein. This analog form of protein is consumed by the Coccidiosis parasite and it dies from slow starvation. But not before the bird builds up a natural immunity to the weakened Coccidiosis parasite. So feeding medicated chick feed and vaccinating too, just cancels each other out. You get the worst of both worlds.

The medicated feed kills off the Coccidiosis parasite BEFORE the vaccine made from a weakened Coccisiosis cell can confer immunity.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Stormy39

May 6, 2013

8. Stormy39

May 6, 2013
    I should have made it more clear, the birds were vaccinated for Marek's disease. They are on mediated feed and now on Corid. I am hoping they improve by tomorrow.

9. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    There is brands of medicated chick start with antibiotic in it so read the feed tag before planning your feed program
    And as the others feeding amprollum and vac. For cocci. Well cancel each other out if used together so when ordering chick if the option just says vac its most likely just mareks but ask before buying the feed to make sure if you need medicated or not

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The following link is from the web sight “Scoop from the Coop.”
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/medicated-chick-starter-facts/

Now where was I? Oh yes, I can attest to the fact that there is no Poop in this Scoop, it is all 100% straight fact. Again, there is absolutely NO, ZERO, NIEN, antibiotics in chicken feed but especially in baby chicken feed. The various Animal Rights groups are the ones responsible for first telling and then keeping this Lie Alive. FYI these are the same organizations that want to prevent you under the threat of prison, from owning chickens. Hey, that's two straight scoops from Chickengeorgeto's coop for the price of only one.

Anyway, because the organism that causes Coccisdosis is not a bacteria, there is no way that an antibiotic (a.k.a. anti bacterial medicine) could prevent, treat, or lessen a Coccisdosis outbreak.

The next time someone tells you this whopper, ask them how Elvis is feeling these days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by