baby chicks or pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krkroust, Nov 18, 2011.

1. krkroust

krkroust Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    Going to get chickens for the first time for eggs.Is it better to raise from baby chicks or just to purchase pullets.Does it matter?

2. Dbc

Dbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    It does not matte but it is more fun to raise them from babies. It is just a fun experience!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've done both. My very first were two laying hens that were three years old, adopted after their owner died in a tragic accident.

My next chickens were three four-week old pullets.

Then I went for the day-olds, and ordered a bunch from a hatchery. Raising baby chicks is the best way. You get to imprint them on you, and have them turn into lovable pets or whatever you want. Seeing them grow, doubling in size each week, and learning new things is about the best entertainment there is.

4. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    I started with pullets but ended up getting babies anyway for the experience and cuteness.

The pullets were lower maintenance to get started with so if you want to get a little experience before hand, I would go with a couple of pullets first. You can always raise some chicks to add to the flock. It was nice to start with a little bit older birds that could fend for themselves a good bit and sort of teach me what to do with them. "Yes, we like this; *screaming* "No, we hate that" sort of stuff. Then, when I got babies I knew more about what to expect.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    depends mostly on how long you're willing to wait for eggs [​IMG]

chicks are nice because they're adorable and you can handle them easier; older pullets/hens are nice because they take less work (don't need to be brooded) and are ready to lay eggs sooner. chicks however tend to come "fresh out the egg" meaning no lice/mites and probably no disease/parasites; older pullets may come with health issues if you're not sure what warning signs to look for, but at the same time, their immune systems are typically better able to deal with such things than a baby chick would.

it's a personal decision that just depends on your preferences, your wants, and your current situation. [​IMG] don't overanalyze it too much hehe.

6. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    If you just want egg layers then go with pullets. If you want pets you've got to get chicks.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I say chicks!! Mostly cause they are so fun, and much friendlier in my opinion, when they grow up, if you hand raise them. JMO though![​IMG]
    Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by