Baby chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rosemtnar, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Rosemtnar

Rosemtnar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Drakes Creek, AR
    My Coop
    I have read several articles on transition of baby chicks from indoors to outdoors (incubated/brooder chicks indoors).

My chicks are just 10 days old. It is warm outside and if it is too cool, I won't take them out. So I built a box 4x2.5 and used a piece of ply wood to cover one end so that they would have some sort of shelter. I also covered it in chicken wire to keep them contained and it also allows the other hens to inspect them. I used simple screws as a latch to hold down the chicken wire.

So here is what the box looks like

[​IMG]

Here is one of the hens checking out whats in the box

[​IMG]

They seem to like it

[​IMG]

I just stretch the chicken wire over the screws

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They do like the cover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    That is a cool and nice setup you have there[​IMG]
    I usually put my chicks outside when they get annoying lol 10 days old is perfect to start putting them outside.
    I would move their area to a patch of grass so they can learn to scratch and dig.

BCP

3. Rosemtnar

Mar 17, 2016
    Drakes Creek, AR
    My Coop
    Thats whats cool abt the box, it can be moved anywhere. They will be in the grass tomorrow. Today was their first day out and they did very well with it. What I liked abt it was that I was able to finally clean out their indoor brooder box. I have paper towels down and change them out at least twice a day, but there always some sort of debris that falls off the towels to the outside eged of the box. All the stuff got dumped and swept away today! [​IMG]

4. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Chicks are soooooo messy lol But not as bad as ducks!
    As long as it doesn't get too cold outside then they can stay out there.

BCP

5. Rosemtnar

Mar 17, 2016
    Drakes Creek, AR
    My Coop
    I will be bringing them in for a few more weeks at nite. I have to construct a "social pen" inside the run so that the hens will introduce themselves for a week or so. After that, I will keep them in the coop for a week so they know thats where they go to sleep and be safe. Then hopefully in abt 2 months or less, they will free range with the others. Thats the plan for now, and that could change..we will see.

6. captivatedlife

captivatedlife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    This is awesome! I have something similar promised to me by my coworker... I hope!

7. Rosemtnar

Mar 17, 2016
    Drakes Creek, AR
    My Coop
    UPDATE: The "chicky boyz" are doing great outside in their box. It is quite entertaining to lay beside the box and talk to them and watch them wrestle over any little bug that happens to fall in the box. A young grasshopper bounced off me and down into the box. His fate was sealed! The chicky boys tugged and wrestled with each other for about 20 min for the chicky treat. Gawd that was fun to watch!

Temps outside have been in the low 80's and with the box out in the yard under the sun, I believe they are plenty warm. It has also been entertaining to see the grown hens come over to see what all the hub bub is about. Chicky boyz are starting to get big and maybe two more weeks they will have out grown the outside box, so I have a wire cage that they will go into and will be placed next to the hen run so that the hens can get a closer look and hopefully will "socialize" with them some.

I will get some more pix as pix seem to keep us chicky parents entertained for some reason. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by