Baby Chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sillyovrsilkies, Jul 18, 2011.

1. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Quick question...
    I have an empty small coop (holds 8-10 bantams) which I could use to raise chicks. Since our temps are ranging from 90-100 degrees daily, would I be able to raise chicks in this coop without a light on them?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You could probably get away with that during the day but what about at night? What are the temps dropping to? You might need to supplement heat for day old chicks at night to keep it around 95.

3. sillyovrsilkies

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    The temps aren't dropping much...in the 80's...
    I was just trying to think of a good way to raise chicks other than in my garage. Hubby doesn't like it b/c the chicken dust is horrible and my van has to take it's parking spot outside until the chickens are old enough to go to coop! [​IMG]

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I keep mine outside, but at night if it will be below the recommended temp, I put a heat lamp on one side that they can use if they want to. Usually it is still hot enough that they just sleep somewhere else, but one night it was only 80 and they were loving the lamp.

5. sillyovrsilkies

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Quote:I keep mine outside, but at night if it will be below the recommended temp, I put a heat lamp on one side that they can use if they want to. Usually it is still hot enough that they just sleep somewhere else, but one night it was only 80 and they were loving the lamp.

Okay...easy enough...thanks!

6. muscolorp

muscolorp New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    We live in south Mississippi and have our bitties outside every day and night since day one with no problem with temperature. We do not put a light on them but they are being raised by one of our hens which is doing an excellent job with them. If you have a good mother hen, I would recommend you use her to take care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by