Baby chicks outside

leighton3

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Maine
Hi guys,

So I just picked up 2, 3 week old Americana chicks yesterday. They have feathered out some. I'm just wondering how old they should be before I let them outside for a little while to play. I won't be leaving them outside. Temperature is around 60-65 this weekend. Is it too soon?

wayne hulgan

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
They look a little too young to go outside to stay, but a visit outside for an hour or 2 would not hurt. If that is a current pix. We moved ours outside when they were 6 weeks old. I think that is the age that most everyone moves them. I like your little chickies.

leighton3

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Maine
Thanks! Yes this was taken last night. I don't plan on leaving them outside for another couple weeks, just wanted to take them outside for an hour or two like you said.
smile.png

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
I don't see why not. I started letting mine out as soon as the thermometer hit 70. I set up some stuff to block the wind and they had a great time. They were about as feathered as yours but more like 1 1/2 weeks old. I kept it short (an hour or less) that first time. The next time, it was 63ish but sunny and no wind -- that was fine too.

Top Bottom