Baby chicks over the cocci hump?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dblankin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dblankin

dblankin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    I bought 5 Doms three weeks ago. The first week, I lost a chick. The second week, another one but I had followed some advice and started unfiltered ACV in their water a few days before. They had always been on medicated starter also. I suspected cocci but didn't see any fecal signs. They were lathargic, fluffed and eventually laying flat, slow breathing.
    Now, my remaining three are active, growing, eating little birds. Are they beyond a cocci risk or should I keep worrying about it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Usually after 8 weeks they are getting immune to it and over the hump. However, adult chickens can still come down with it if immunocompromised or exposed to new soil.

I treat coccidiosis (everyone exposed to the poo of the sick ones) with Corid 9.6% solution, 9.5 ml per gallon of drinking water, mixing new solution daily for 5 days. If they aren't drinking they would need this: gently drip with a syringe alongside the beak, some medicated water so they get some of the water.

I don't use ACV but do know that medicated starter has such a small amount of medication in it that it doesn't prevent all coccidiosis.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Of my six chicks last year, I lost one to what I'm pretty sure was cocci at about age 12 weeks. They had all been fine in the brooder, I had introduced them to dirt from the run early to help build up a tolerance to cocci, they made it through a few weeks of being in a grow-out pen inside the coop with the "big girls" and had graduated to a small tractor. I thought I was in the clear on the cocci issue BUT the conditions were perfect for it as it was a very hot and very wet spring. I've read that Cocci thrives in hot, wet weather.

I saw no fecal signs. No blood in the stool but I've since learned that you can easily have cocci without blood in the stool. Late one afternoon I noticed one gal sitting by herself all fluffed up. I put Corid in the water immediately but she didn't have time to get enough of it before she went to roost. The next morning she collapsed and subsequently died about 24 hours later. I continued to treat all the chicks with Corid and none of the other girls got sick.

So, you're not out of the woods yet and even older chicks and adult birds can get it. Be especially alert for symptoms when you've got warm, wet weather.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickensAreSweet

Very good post- I forgot to mention that I have had to treat for cocci at 3 months of age...yes! So true.

Some educational websites mention 8 weeks. It certainly can happen after that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They are never truely out of the woods because all it takes is exposure to a new strain of coccidia that they are not immune to to cause a case of coccidiosis. Especially watch them when they first move out to the coop or otherwise go outside. Any time I see chicks or young birds suddenly acting lethargic and puffed up I treat immediately with Corid.

Mtn Laurel makes a good point about lack of blood in the stool. Sometimes you'll see it, sometimes you won't so don't use lack of blood alone to rule out coccidiosis.

6. dblankin

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    Thank you all for the great information. On my lunch break I want to TSC and bought some Corid and started them on it at lunch. They are on a brooder so do I need to get a chunk of my yard for them to get exposed to whatever strain I may have? They have not, since I picked them up from the hatchery, been exposed to my yard.

7. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been looking for Corid all week. I asked at TSC and they had no idea what I was even talking about. The two places that do carry it, one is out and has it on order, the other one carries it but they've been out of it for months. So I'm SOL if I need any.

8. dblankin

Feb 6, 2014
    Tuscumbia, AL
    Sorry to hear that. Can you order online?

9. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  10. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought there was a chicken version of Corid. Maybe that is why no one had it in stock? I'll check again today, and if I still can't find it I'll just order it online. I'd hate to need it and not be able to get my hands on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by