Baby chicks Pecking at vent causing bleeding

kkatnhat

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this group so I would like to first intro myself. I live in MT and have one week old chicks.

I've raised chicks before but have never seen this before. They are pecking at each others vents and tail area causing bleeding, which of course causes them to peck more. I've separated the chicks with the bloody tails (13), cleaned them up with fresh water and dabbed on some neosporin to promote healing. This is so disturbing as it seems I would have to keep all 24 chicks in separate brooders to stop this however who can do that??

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

I have used a bandaid before to keep them from picking. They still pick at the bandaid but its better than the vent.

Or if the bandaid wont stay, try just a piece of 1st aid tape and dont push it on too tight.

Hi again!

Thanks for all of the responses! First, what is blue kote? And where can I find it? also, the bandaid idea is interesting but if I cover up the vent, then how can they excrement? It seems that their vent is very raw from the pecking and would have to be covered? I can see how this would for the tail.

Thanks again, you are all so great to respond so quickly...

Back
Top Bottom