Baby chicks pecking in the brooder

Chioflock

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Texas
Hello everyone!
Please help me understand why baby chicks peck their own feathers so much.
I have 7 chicks in the brooder ( a medium size Rubbermaid tote) they are 2 and 1/2weeks old. They all seem healthy and their feathers are changing a lot now. They are no babies no more 😥

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
Hello everyone!
I have 7 chicks in the brooder ( a medium size Rubbermaid tote) they are 2 and 1/2weeks old. They all seem healthy and their feathers are changing a lot now. They are no babies no more 😥
How often are they pecking?

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
Often, it seems like they are cleaning their feathers, I checked them and they look good, just growing.
Yeah, I have only had chicks once so far, but I was thinking either general grooming or maybe a bit of boredeom as well. I am not sure how you have your brooder set up, but I gave my chicks little roosts (just made of sticks that I broke into small pieces) and made them a bit higher every so often and they loved them! Glad they are healthy!!

Chioflock

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Texas
Yeah, I have only had chicks once so far, but I was thinking either general grooming or maybe a bit of boredeom as well. I am not sure how you have your brooder set up, but I gave my chicks little roosts (just made of sticks that I broke into small pieces) and made them a bit higher every so often and they loved them! Glad they are healthy!!
I added
some broccoli florets hanging from a thread, like little piñatas haha to see if that helps with boredom. They like them. But still pecking 😪

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
I added
some broccoli florets hanging from a thread, like little piñatas haha to see if that helps with boredom. They like them. But still pecking 😪
it may just be their natural behavior! Hopefully someone with a bit more experience than me will make a comment or two

TryxiChick

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
SE QLD, Australia
My Coop
Following!

1st time chick raiser - I have 5 x 3wk old silkies, they are a bit pecky and rushing each other? flappy wings and running toward each other, like sizing each other up? Gee I hope they're not all roos :idunno

Chioflock

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Texas
Following!

1st time chick raiser - I have 5 x 3wk old silkies, they are a bit pecky and rushing each other? flappy wings and running toward each other, like sizing each other up? Gee I hope they're not all roos :idunno
I red that sometimes they try to stablish who is gonna be the boss in the coop, that is why they peck each other and do all that crazy dance. Haha so fun to watch

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
Following!

The chest bumping is normal behavior. Pullet chicks will also flare their hackles at each other during the establishment of the pecking order.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
Hello everyone!
The brooder is way too small for that many chicks at that age. They need MORE SPACE!!
Do you have any other chickens?
Do you have their adult coop and run built already?
If so, what size is it?

Top Bottom