baby chicks pecking mom!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewFlockOnTheBlock, Mar 29, 2018.

1. NewFlockOnTheBlock

NewFlockOnTheBlock Songster

Sep 20, 2017
    Washington State
    Our broody just hatched 5 chicks on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and she is now raising them in a big stock tank in our living room. The babies keep pecking at their mom though! Is this normal? They are grabbing on to her comb, wattles, eyelids... Mostly she tolerates it but other times she pecks back, or lifts them by their beak and tosses them off to the side. She doesn't appear to be hurting them as they bounce right back but I worry about her. I don't want her to get too stressed, or give up on the chicks. They do have a dish with chick starter and mashed hard boiled egg and are eating, so I don't think they are pecking at her because they're hungry.

2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    That is how baby chicks learn, by pecking things. Like a human baby chewing on things. This is completely normal. Mom will keep them in line and teach them manners.

3. NewFlockOnTheBlock

NewFlockOnTheBlock Songster

Sep 20, 2017
    Washington State
    Oh good! I suspected that they were just exploring but was getting a little concerned, especially after reading about how sometimes chicks display uncontrolled aggression from day one, constantly pecking at their mates. Ours don't peck at each other much, mostly at mom.

4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    That is what mom is there to prevent, uncontrolled aggression between the babies, to set order and limits. Don't worry, she'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: