Baby chicks pecking one another

Awtdaniel05

Songster
Apr 3, 2019
New Mexico
I have roughly about 90 baby chicks 60 of them are all 5 weeks old and are seperated from my youger bantam chicks. Recently I have notices that the older chicks started pecking the polish chicks head. Does anyone have any advice to get them to stop pecking each other and treatment for the ones bieng pecked.

I have roughly about 90 baby chicks 60 of them are all 5 weeks old and are seperated from my youger bantam chicks. Recently I have notices that the older chicks started pecking the polish chicks head. Does anyone have any advice to get them to stop pecking each other and treatment for the ones bieng pecked.
That's a lot of chicks!
What are the other breeds that are in with the Polish? Can you post pictures of your brooder set up?

That's a lot of chicks!
What are the other breeds that are in with the Polish? Can you post pictures of your brooder set up?
I have a little of everything I got a suprize box from cackle hatchery.I can't post pictures right now but the are in a 6ft by 10 ft chicken tractor with 2 feeders and 2 waterers

That's a lot of chickens for a 60sq.ft. space! Do they range or have a run?

Picking at each other can happen in any scenario but it's far more likely when conditions are crowded. That's why the commercial layer operations have their chicks de-beaked, so they can't cause injury when they pick at each other. Giving them more space and more things to explore may stop the problem.

Last edited:
I have a little of everything I got a suprize box from cackle hatchery.I can't post pictures right now but the are in a 6ft by 10 ft chicken tractor with 2 feeders and 2 waterers
They are going to need more space. It sounds like sooner than later.
Polish chickens are frequently the victims of having their head feathers plucked out by other chickens. With the tight quarters and the funky head gear, I think they will have problems unless you about double the size of their space and/or remove the Polish from the main flock.

They are going to need more space. It sounds like sooner than later.
Polish chickens are frequently the victims of having their head feathers plucked out by other chickens. With the tight quarters and the funky head gear, I think they will have problems unless you about double the size of their space and/or remove the Polish from the main flock.
I let them run around all day from 7 am to 7 pm they are only in the tractor at night. What do I use to treat their wounds.

That's a lot of chickens for a 60sq.ft. space! Do they range or have a run?

Picking at each other can happen in any scenario but it's far more likely when conditions are crowded. That's why the commercial layer operations have their chicks de-beaked, so they can't cause injury when they pick at each other. Giving them more space and more things to explore may stop the problem.
They run around the whole yard all day and are only put in the tractor at night. Thanks for the advice.

I let them run around all day from 7 am to 7 pm they are only in the tractor at night. What do I use to treat their wounds.
Separation and iodine, styptic powder if it's actively bleeding. Blood or even just redness attracts unwanted attention from all others. If I were you, I'd house the Polish separately if you want to keep a flock of ornamental birds or sell them off if you don't or can't.

Back
Top Bottom