Baby chicks play dead

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by llll, Aug 23, 2010.

1. llll

llll New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    I never raised chickens. Wife got a rooster and hen and now have 7 chicks. I went outside today and heard a chicken hawk and my hen was clucking loudly. When I got to where they were the hawk flew off. I saw all 7 chicks lying on the ground, not moving and appeared to be dead. I actually watched them for several seconds. The hen was still clucking loudly about 20 feet away. I went in the house for a bit and when I returned all the chicks were gone......with their mother, hiding in the shed. I would not believe it had I not seen it.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    That is a freaky story. I wish I had seen it. Oh, BTW, [​IMG]

3. fourgotten

fourgotten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Sounds like you got summa them there new 'possum chickens. [​IMG]

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] good for your mama... she has great instincts [​IMG]

5. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    That's just something pre-programmed into their DNA, good to see it in action like that.

4 of my hens did pretty much the same thing when a hawk swooped thru the yard last week, and that's with no mama-hen to show them the ropes ( bought day-old at Tractor Supply )

Oh..and [​IMG] from Connecticut !

6. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Omg! Possum Chicks!

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Smart momma making noise from away from her babies, good chicks lay still! Hawks have great eye sight but they see movement best. How cool for you to see it!

And

[​IMG]

8. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Its absolutely AMAZING isnt' it. We had it happen last year with our Buff Orpington Pullet. We were all sitting in the grass and all these little birds suddenly start flying through the air quickly followed by a hawk. Our buff dropped to the ground wings spread out and everything. So cool to see a Farm Feed store chick have a great natural instinct like that.

9. PEI chicken

PEI chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi folks

I had a similar experience yesterday evening. . . Usually my dog Jessie (black lab/border collie mix) is quiet and docile when outside around the chickens, but yesterday she took off running speedily around the house a few times, running off excess energy and showing off for me. My four chickens, who are allowed outside to forage for a few hours when I am home, must have thought she was a threat though. They had never seen her do this before and it must have surprized them completely . . . they froze like statues for about 5 minutes! I was amazed, but couldn't help chuckling at them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've seen wild birds at the feeder do this if a hawk is around. You can actually walk up and pick up the bird as it won't move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by