Baby chicks Poop Looks Weird Normal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 2, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

so my chick pooped and it was Diary, more pea then poop, so an hour later I go in to check on them and the poop dried, and it dried BLACK!!! For a moment of looking I thought it was Oil, literally, I was like "o Chickies, my new little money makers, BLACK GOLD!!!" lol (I knew it wasn't oil but still)

So is this normal?

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    How old are the chicks and what have they been eating? Have you been feeding them treats? If so, what have you been feeding them?

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Chickens have 2 different types of poop. One is fairly firm & looks about like what you'd expect. The other, called "cecal" is a nasty, green-brown, foul-smelling, runny goo that will make your eyes water. If that fits the description, it's normal.
    [​IMG]

4. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah that fits the description good, it comes out looking like and an hour later, it dries what looks black, but it might be a dark dark brown! Hmmm

They are 1 week old, they actually just about 5 minutes ago accepted yogurt and to their surprise they like it!

Also I wanted to know about kinds of yogurt, I know plain is good, but what about that Yoplait Yogurt, it is strawberry flavor, and they like it so, I just wanted to know? I will use plain later on but we have Yoplait Yogurt that no one will eat so, we decided to give it to the chickens! so I will go to plain, but can I continue feeding the Yoplait Yogurt to them for now?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The flavored yogurts have too much sugar in them for chickens.

Thanks to Miss Prissy, I now make my own yogurt. It's soooo easy to make, people think you're a dairy god when you tell them that you make it, and it's pretty tasty. I can't stand the texture of commercial yogurts but like my own with some jam (also my own).

Here's her recipe:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9738

As I just told another poster, "come to the dark side".
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by