Baby chicks quarantined, when to move

eml711

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2020
Heya!

We brought home three baby chicks Saturday 8/15, and almost immediately realized one was sick (we think respiratory). Despite giving electrolytes and antibiotics she sadly passed the next day 8/16. We have kept the remaining two on the electrolytes and antibiotics all week since they were exposed to her.
Monday 8/17 we brought home three more baby chicks (from a more reputable place this time!) and have them in a different brooder box. At what point can we put all five chicks together safely?
Thanks!

Ok to bump this? Is it safe to move the chicks together now or should I wait? Thank you! :)

What antibiotics are you giving?
Most respiratory diseases don't really ever go away.

How old are the chicks and where did they come from?
Are you sure the one chick wasn't just a failure to thrive?

What antibiotics are you giving?
Most respiratory diseases don't really ever go away.

How old are the chicks and where did they come from?
Are you sure the one chick wasn't just a failure to thrive?

We gave water soluble Tylan/amoxicillin in their water. The first three chicks came from a local feed store, and they told us they were 'approximately' a week old, (so now at least 2 weeks old) but I can tell one is definitely older than that because her feathers are in more. Pictures below. I am not entirely sure of what the one that passed died from but she appeared to have breathing issues for approx. 24 hrs before she died so that was my guess.

2D5C08F3-266E-4681-A797-60A49D4BD7A8.JPG
11FB60FE-E04B-4454-B3C0-865BBE7DBF14.JPG

I would wait for 7 to 10 days to put them together. That period is usually an incubation period of most respiratory issues. By then if other two are fine, you can move them together.

Back
Top Bottom