Baby chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenmommy1, Mar 20, 2012.

1. chickenmommy1

chickenmommy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question about my 6 baby chicks..... They are going on two weeks old at my house this Sunday and not sure how old they actually are when I bought them no more than 5 days old when I bought them. Anyway my question is they seem to be less active then before and are sleeping a lot more than they did in the first week and a half that I had them. Is this normal for them to be doing this? Are they now used to us and the everyday noises going on around the that they are just sleeping better? I am hoping this is normal for them to be doing this. I am a new little chick owner and have never had babies before. I have 6 older Silkies that were at least 6 months old when my mom gave them to me.

Thanks for any advise.
    P.S. they live in the house with us right now in our living room in a 60gal fish tank. I also changed their light today from a 100 watt down to 60 watts since we are having a very warm Spring in Ohio right now and they seemed to hot with the 100 watt. HOPE I DID NOT MAKE THEM SICK[​IMG]

2. Rena

Rena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Colorado
    Do you have a thermometer in there? I would imagine they could get overheated pretty quickly under those conditions in an aquarium, especially now that they are getting more feathers. But I could be wrong.

3. chickenmommy1

chickenmommy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Yes I have one it says 78 to 82 degrees but they have plenty of room to move around in it. Also I would see them move to the other end if they were to hot wouldn't I because it is pretty long... they still lay on the end where their light is. It used to be a lizard cage and has one of those screen lids with plenty of air going in to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by