baby chicks rear

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ejstoner, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ejstoner

ejstoner Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    I know this might be a silly question, but the poop seems to stick to the chix butts. Should I be remving this or let it fall off of its own free will? I hear people talking about pasty butts, and I ned to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It is called pasty butt, and you need to removed it very gently. If you just pull it you run the risk of pulling their insides out. Take a warm wet cloth and work it off gently a little at a time. Make sure you check your chicks bottoms twice a day for a while to avoid the really big clumps.

ETA: do not leave it ther, it won't fall off, but can kill the chick if left alone. It needs to come off with your help. There are so silly or stupid questions on BYC [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. ejstoner

Mar 15, 2009
    it dosent to be bothering them, and the are defecating quite regularly.Are they supposed to have clean butts? does this problem clear up? How long does it take to clear up? Thanks ED

4. debilorrah

They will not act like it bothers them and yes it does need to be clean. After a few weeks, once they start to feather, they will not have this problem anymore. But pasty butt can kill the chick. Eventually it will become impacted and their feces will go back into their bodies and kill them. In all my chick raising (not a lot) I had two chicks with pasty butt and they had it constantly until about 3 weeks old. It was a pain..... However they are nice and healthy now!

5. ejstoner

Mar 15, 2009
    thanks debbi for your help- I guess I better get cleaning!!!

6. debilorrah

You are welcome - now you owe everyone pics of the lil things! [​IMG]

7. ejstoner

Mar 15, 2009
    One more question please-- this stuff appears to be real hard-- I tried to wipe it off butt its quite hard The chicks will be a week old on thursday

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Soak the little bottom in water or hold it under a slight stream of warm water. Do not pull on the poo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by