Baby chicks seem like they hate me

Starlightones

Hatching
Apr 13, 2020
Hello,
I bought these chicks about four days ago. I know it takes time for animals to bond and I assume chicken bonding is probably different than your normal household pet. Anyhow, I’ve been watching video of people putting their hands near their chicks and the chicks will come out and eat whatever they have. I’ve been trying to give mine treats to try and bond but they will not even come close to me. In fact, when I open the cage they run to the back wall and turn their backs on me. Is this normal behavior for chicks? Do they act like this for a few weeks? Any advice to get them to like me ? :) thanks

What's your brooder set up? Does it open from the top or the sides? If you reach down from the top, they're more likely to react as if a predator is coming down at them.

A better way to get them used to you (once again, depending on how your brooder is set up) is to sit on the ground in a chick safe area and open the brooder door and let them come out to explore you.

Oh, should also add that some chickens just aren't wired to be as people friendly as others... I treat all my birds the same way and some are super friendly and always hoping for attention while others don't even want to be looked at. :)

What's your brooder set up? Does it open from the top or the sides? If you reach down from the top, they're more likely to react as if a predator is coming down at them.

A better way to get them used to you (once again, depending on how your brooder is set up) is to sit on the ground in a chick safe area and open the brooder door and let them come out to explore you.

Oh, should also add that some chickens just aren't wired to be as people friendly as others... I treat all my birds the same way and some are super friendly and always hoping for attention while others don't even want to be looked at. :)
Thanks for the input. Right now the door opens from the side but I have to reach over some cardboard so maybe that’s part of it. I’ll try removing the cardboard and see if that makes a difference.
Are friendly chicks friendly right off the bat ?

Once the chicks get a little bit older you should have a better idea of individual personalities - whether they're bold and curious, or shy, or skittish, or interested in people. Then they reach their teenage phase where they become more aloof or afraid, and that continues until they start laying, at which point they'll calm back down again.

Once the chicks get a little bit older you should have a better idea of individual personalities - whether they're bold and curious, or shy, or skittish, or interested in people. Then they reach their teenage phase where they become more aloof or afraid, and that continues until they start laying, at which point they'll calm back down again.
Thank you! This is very helpful info :)

Mine are 16 days old. Several come right to me, several take a few minutes to warm up to me. A couple still don‘t like me.

Just keep trying and they will come around when ready.

I also keep a radio on for them during the day.

My first chicks I got from a bin at Rural King- they probably went through a lot and weren't real sure of humans by the time I got them. They weren't particularly friendly, very skiddish and liked to keep their distance. Once they got big enough to go outside, I couldn't even hold them or touch them until they started laying eggs (doing their submissive squat).

Yesterday I picked up some baby chicks that just hatched that morning- I went to the hatchery to pick them up (instead of shipping) and they seem so much more friendly and curious. Maybe because they only really know me as a human and haven't had an overwhelming/rocky start. So maybe that plays into how they act towards people?? Either way, it just takes some patience, it's not something you're doing wrong. Don't force them and they will come around. Personally I don't give them anything extra to eat this young but if you do choose to give them some sort of treat, make sure they have chick grit available. Good luck!

Here is what I do...

Spend time around them without reaching for them. Sit in their room and take phone calls. Talk to them every time you walk by. Sit with the brooder door open and lay your arm down inside. Maybe even put some food in the open palm of your hand. Just let them come to you, they eventually will, at a minimum for the food. Sometimes I lift my arm a few inches off the brooder floor to give them a perch, they love it. Stay still and don't reach for them as much as you want! Let them decide to come to you :)

After doing that a couple of times, then I put a finger out and give them neck and head pats and rubs, under wing rubs, and such. Some like it some don't. All of them have gotten used to me and come see me though, so it must work a little :)

Keep doing this and before you know of they'll be flying out of the brooder to perch on you! Just like with kids, keep loving them and when they grow up they recognize it ;)

Also, this...
If you reach down from the top, they're more likely to react as if a predator is coming down at them.

Last year I got Easter Eggers and Brown Leghorns as day-olds. There was a difference right from the beginning. Some of the EEs would eat from my hand and sit on me by a couple of weeks. The BLs were crazy wild things! Now the EEs flock all around me so that I have to be careful not to step on them when giving them scratch in the afternoon. Some are friendlier than others. And the BLs .. are crazy wild things! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom