Baby chicks sneezing

greenkjb

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
I really hope someone can give me some advice. My husband and I were holding our chicks (exactly three weeks old), and I noticed that a couple of them were sneezing. One of them has a miniscule amount of clear drainage from her nose. They have been inside my house since the day they were born. I bought them 2 hours after they arrived at the feed store. They eat a ton of chick starter and have fresh water at all times. I use a 75 watt red lamp (not a heat lamp, there were none available), but their behavior shows they are warm enough as they lie under the light, but not huddled together and chirp contentedly. I recently switched to cedar shavings from newspaper because it seems like it is cleaner and softer for them. Does anyone know anything about this? Should I be worried or am I just being paranoid? Thanks so much...

Cedar is BAD!!!!!! It causes respiratory problems in all kinds of birds and small animals!!!! Get them OFF the cedar and change to pine instread!!!!!! The sooner, the better!!!!

Quote:
x2

Get them off the cedar immediately as it causes respiratory distress. Pine shavings or pine pellets are ideal. I use the kind designed for horses because it is less dusty. Whatever you decide to use, just get them off of the cedar.

Quote:
x2

Get them off the cedar immediately as it causes respiratory distress. Pine shavings or pine pellets are ideal. I use the kind designed for horses because it is less dusty. Whatever you decide to use, just get them off of the cedar.

x3

My bad. I wrote cedar, but meant pine. Sorry it was late last night! No cedar here. Otherwise, I have read other comments on sneezing and it seems like what they have is just normal dust sneezing?
Thanks again!

Mine do that- if there's not drainage, its normal dusty sneezing. (and man do they make a lot of dust!)

The only thing I'd be concerned about is that you said one of them had clear drainage. Is that still the case?

Quote:
Yea, if there is drainage, that could indicate a problem.

If they are just sneezing every now and then and there is no drainage, I would say it's probably just some dust in their nose, but if there is drainage you may have a respiratory infection that needs to be addressed.

Okay, have been checking her since I originally posted. Have not seen any drainage since. Maybe my paranoia was making me imagine it? Good to know that any drainage is not normal. I will watch them closely. Thanks for the help.
Kate

Back
Top Bottom