Baby Chicks Soon!!! So Excited!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smokeykk, Mar 18, 2011.

1. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well, not definitly but hopefully! [​IMG] We would need a brooder, but we can't afford much more than a cardboard box, [​IMG] if we're going to build a coop also. [​IMG]

Any advice???

We may be getting some from my little brother's school, they do a chicken embryology unit and they raise the yellow fluffy ones, I'm not all that farmiliar with the different breeds, but we may be getting 2 from there and maybe a mix of other chicks.. Just wondering if we could put them together right away? and also, we live in a neighborhood, where our back is to about 30 ft back of woods and then there are neighbors with other chickens [​IMG] , i don't know if we should let our chickens free range because they might go home with the other chickens, or maybe get in fights with them, [​IMG] I'm really worried about this, any advice? [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I wouldn't let them off my property. They can be in your yard and still "free range" but be much safer. There's just too much that can happen to them like that. Dogs, hawks, possum, you name it, it wants a chicken dinner.

4. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well, we don't have a fence around our yard, they could actually just go wherever if we let them out of their coop, but then our neighbors have chickens too, and those chickens come in our yard also, i just don't know what we could do to have a different spot for them to run around, because iwouldn't want to keep them in their pen all the time... i just don't know!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by