baby chicks starting to die.... need help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had a hatch about a week ago of james marie farm birds... real good hatch.. everything has been fine no priblems for the first week here... last night I found one dead and this morning I found two or three dead now.... im scared somethings wrong.... they are in a
    BrOoder.. they have plenty heat when they need it and can cool down when they want... plenty food.. plenty water.... the ones that are dying im finding under the heating element more and not in the cooler spots of the brooder.... I really dont know of anything to do... I dont want to have birds dropping like flies... the ambient air temps have been in the 50s and 60s.... its not freezing and its not too hot... the brooder is 95 under the heating element... 90 degrees on the sides of the heating element, 80 degrees in the middle of the brooder, then the front thermometers are reading 70 degrees... thats when I have the top off looking at them.... so with the top on the front isnt as cool.... I mean either way the week old chicks should be warm enough...

Any ideas...?

2. Cellochick

Cellochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    They could have coccidiosis. It's an intestinal parasite that young chicks get easily. Do you give them medicated feed? If not start feeding them medicated and clean out there water as much as possible

3. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got ahold of robbie at james marie farms... he found what I was doing wrong.... when I switched out the water I was just using cool tap water and not warm water... so when the chicks drank the new cold water it chilled them too much.. thats why theyran underneath the heating elements then ended up dying... so sspecial info!!!! Refill water with warm 90 degree or more water so when they drink it it doesnt lower their body temps real quick. They need to stay the same tempature as the brooder...

4. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    And dont feed medicated feed!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by