Baby chicks still haven't arrived

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babygurlsmt, Feb 14, 2012.

1. babygurlsmt

babygurlsmt New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Sturgis, KY
    I don't know what to do this is the second time this is happening. Last week MMH shipped my 25 baby chicks but the super bowl delayed the delivery it says they shipped out 2-3 and we got them 2-8 and they were all dead so they replaced them and sent our new bunch out 2-11 and were supposed to arrive today and did not I am so scared I am goin to get a call that they arrived dead again. These are my 8 year old daughters baby chicks and she asks about them and why they haven't made it here yet. I am just so disappointed and don't know what to do. If I could find anywhere around here the has fertilized eggs I would just incubate my own. I just wanted an assortment of different beautiful breeds. They will replace them again but dang what if this happens again and they can't replace for 2 weeks. I am so upset right now and so is my daughter. Any advice please? My po box guy said he will call me at 5 am when he gets there if the chicks r there. We have been praying they will make it til I can get them back here and straight to feed and water.

2. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    I am so sorry--that is miserable. I hope they come through for you this time...it isn't too late yet. You might want to look on the auctions here or search around for breeders, though, if this doesn't work out. Just a thought of course...but we always feel in better hands with a breeder than with a big hatchery. Sorry, I know that's not much help! Maybe there is a flock swap in your area where you could let your daughter pick up some chicks?

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Again? OMG. I remember reading your first post. If your PO doesn't call in the AM, I would call the hatchery asap and complain. The fact about your traumatized daughter with the 1st box of dead chicks, seems like they should have overnight expressed the replacement order. Let us know!

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Again, it's not the hatcheries fault so don't blame McMurray. When you order chicks in the winter months, select express mail. Then you'll have them in 24 hours or you get your money back. It's not the hatcheries problem that the post office bungled the shipment, I expect to see more of this with the changes at the PO. And yes, I did order my chicks with express instead of priority this year because they are coming farther. Last year with McMurray they all arrived healthy but then again, I didn't have them shipped till April.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    That's awful! [​IMG]If they arrive dead again ([​IMG] they won't), definitally don't order from them again! You can always check craiglist, or try a different hatchery.

I so hope they come!

6. babygurlsmt

babygurlsmt New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Sturgis, KY
    they didn't give me a choice how to ship them when i called to get them replaced I didn't say it was hatcheries fault because i got an order a year ago and they were all fine when they arrived. But you would think the hatchery would want to figure out what is going on so they don't have to keep replacing them and i had my po guy checking on his end too they don't show enough detail when they are shipped so we don't even know where they are at right now. I would be so happy if they arrive chirping tomorrow morning. nothing worse than going to get chicks and not hearing anything out of the box.

7. babygurlsmt

babygurlsmt New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Sturgis, KY
    I am just wondering if there is any hope in them arriving alive

8. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Outside chance they can make it, usual time is 3 days. Now that said, as soon as they arrive get them to water then food, they might pull through.
    Every hatchery will ship express, at your expense. They just don't advertise it because it's additional work for them. You have to specifically ask that
    they express mail them at your expense and they will. It's just a crappy time of the year for chicks, one little screw up in the chain and the chicks won't
    make it. I like to wait a couple more months, then if someone sets the box on the loading dock with an open door, my chicks don't die from it. I love the
    General Mail Facility in Anchorage, sort of the hub for the state. They called at 6am telling me my chicks were in, they kept them in the managers office
    chick was the warmest place in the building. This was in Mid April last year. Ordered again for Mid April this year, two different hatcheries and both coming
    via express mail.

9. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    Meyer packs with heat packs, I never here complaints about them....So it kinda is the hatcheries problem if they dont use heat packs

10. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID

BUT....if there is a delay in the postal process, those heat packs are not going to do any good after the 1st day. This is NOT a hatchery issue regardless of where they came from. I live in Idaho and I have never had a problem with my chicks arriving in a timely manner coming from McMurray.

BTW....have you noticed that all the people that are complaining about this issue are mainly from KY!?! Do you honestly think that McMurray has something against KY people??? Just silly to blame the hatchery!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by