Baby chick's toe is FALLING OFF!!! Help!! EMERGENCY!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanichca, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I have a three week old EE chick, healthy in every other aspect. Her and her 11 hatch mates live in a large dog crate at night and free range during the day. I let them out this morning, as always, and this one ran out with blood dripping from her leg. I picked her up, cleaned her a bit, and her toe is falling off!! I can't put up any pics (I'm on the iPad) but it looks like the skin has been peeled off and you can see her bones [​IMG] I'm pretty sure that this was from picking by the other chicks, as this one is the "runt" so to speak and their night-time cage is very small for the amount of birds (I am building them a larger coop, but it's a work in progress. They have the run of our huge fenced in yard though from 6am to 10 pm.) But what do I do??? I'm thinking I should clean the wound with some witch hazel, wrap it in a band aid, and just keep her in a private cage with my "momma" rooster (he sits on eggs, takes care of chicks, and has never pecked anyone a day in his life)
    Could it have been the Wyandotte bantam hen who also free ranges during the day? It wasn't the dog and I am pretty sure it wasn't The cats (wouldn't they have bitten the head?) Will I have to amputate???
    Please help!!!
    -Tani

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Cleaning and bandaging the wound, then isolating sounds like the first course of action. Then, wait and see. Chickens are amazingly resilient.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:Cleaning and bandaging the wound, then isolating sounds like the first course of action. Then, wait and see. Chickens are amazingly resilient.

x2. Could have been rats. I've had them take toes from my chicks. Does the cage have a wire bottom? Good luck!

4. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    I had the same thing happen to one of my silkie chicks. She came shipped with a thread tied around her toe that had cut into her skin and her toe did eventually fall off. She's fine missing a toe so don't worry to much if her toe does come off.
    You should clean it, bandage it and separate her if you notice the other chicks actively picking on her. Watch for infection but know that in chickens bruising is sometimes greenish.

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    It wasnt rats, because the cage has a plastic bottom and there are no rats anywhere nearby.
    She is isolated, eating a bit of starter that I put in her mini-cage. She isn't putting any weight on her hurt foot, but I cleaned it and bandaged it with a paper towel and some duct tape. She is alert, peeping away, but quietly. The heat lamp is on... I am leaving for a Drs. Appointment, so I'll check on her when I get back. [​IMG]

6. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I had a brick fall on one of my chicks foot a week after I got them. I was devastated. Blood, bruised and looking broken, I didn't know what to do. I isolated her for about 2 weeks, still in the brooder so she could still see the other chicks, treated with neosporin a lot and after about 2 weeks, she was good to go and has been fine ever since. [​IMG] Good luck!

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I think I'm going to amputate tomorrow. There is still bleeding, and the toe is so crushed that it just won't ever function again. How would one suggest going about this?

8. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Before you amputate, try holding firm pressure on the toe to stop the bleeding. Use a clean paper towel if you do not have any 2x2 pads. Bleeding should stop. The pressure dress. Fold the 2x2 or paper towel so you can wrap around the toe. Apply neosporin without pain medication. Tape around the dressing, applying light pressure. See how it looks in the morning.

9. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I don't have any neosporin... would A&D ointment work instead?

10. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Have no idea what is in A&D, so I cannot say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by