Baby chicks took an extra day in the mail!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chixine, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Chixine

Chixine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I was expecting my second shipment of peeps yesterday.. they never showed and didn't arrive into pittsburgh until 11 at night.

I waited at the PO for them this morning, and luckily they are still alive, after an extra day in their box. I was SO worried. I think the fact that it's hot out helped.. I don't think they would have made it in a regular March.

Anyway, one of the new girls is very weak. I am keeping her out of the brooder and inside the top of my dress (her head is poking out). I am humming to her and feeding her sugar water. she won't eat food yet. I read about feeding eggs and cottage cheese, but I am at work and have none (I have a pet supply store, so I bring my chicks with me). Is there anything else I can do for her? I will be so so sad if she dies... she is making little noises.. not peeps. she doesn't seem distressed, just very weak.

she can peep though, she just did when I touched her head.

I'll take all the advice I can get!

Thanks!

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Can you get any chicken electrolyte solution (Gro-gel/Save-a-Chick)? If not, I might try some Pedialyte to try get more than just sugar into her/him. Warm, hydrated, and calm is probably best you are going to be able to do. Having to just wait and see always is the worst.

3. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I'll get some as soon as I can! She seems to be doing a bit better already. She pooped down my dress :) Thanks!

4. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I tried putting her back in because she wanted to sleep and my movements were waking her up. When I checked on her though, she was no where near the heat lamp, where it wasn't warm at all. I think maybe she doesn't know what she needs. She's back in my dress. :(

5. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    My little light Brahma chick didn't make it. I want to know what went wrong (besides the extra day in the mail) so that I can prevent this from happening again.

She was sleeping in the sun, because it's hot out and she was safe from the other chicks. We had been giving her flavorless pedialyte (with zinc) every 20 minutes.

I got happy because she woke up and stood up on her own.. my business partner was giving her the pedialyte with a dropper which she seemed happy to drink.

Then she died. She made a noise and died.

My partner is so upset, she thinks she killed her. I asked if she could have drowned and she said no, she seemed to be swallowing happily and wasn't trying to pull away from the dropper.

I don't know if it was the dropper, the pedialyte with zinc, or what...

6. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Birds aren't as hardy as you would think. They can react so badly to things that don't seem very stressful to us and there isn't always a lot you can do about it. You guys did a good job trying to keep it warm and hydrated. Poor little thing likely just couldn't recover from the stress of hatching out and then being shipped and having so many things going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by