Baby chicks under broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellydog, Mar 10, 2013.

1. kellydog

kellydog New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    My hen has been brooding for about 12 days. I bought 2 chicks to slip under her but when I got home broody got off nest so I pit chicks in (they are parrot 3 days old). Broody would not get on her nest with them in their. At night I slipped them under her and now she is on them but the chicks have not had food and water for almost 12 hours. Do I leave them under broody? Do I take them out and feed water? Help!! And thanks for any insight

2. kellydog

kellydog New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    My typo about "parrot." It should be "about". The chicks are about 3 days old. And broody would not get back on her nest with the chicks in that nest. At night she moved over to the other nest. Thanks again

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Did you mean to type 'parrot?' I'm thinking it was a typo but if not, you'll have to take the chicks back since chickens don't raise chicks like parrots do and the parrot chicks will die. But, I'm thinking it was a typo :)

Anyway, the hen usually sits on chicks after they hatch for 24 hours to give them a chance to get fluffed up and able to follow her, and also to give other eggs a chance to hatch - if a broody got up as soon as an egg hatched all the others would die, so that's why she's sitting on them. You should feed chicks before you give them to a hen for this reason. if you're really worried, I think putting some food in front of the broody and pulling the chicks out to let them eat for a few minutes, keeping them where she can see them, would probably be fine.

4. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    Did you mean to type 'parrot?' I'm thinking it was a typo but if not, you'll have to take the chicks back since chickens don't raise chicks like parrots do and the parrot chicks will die. But, I'm thinking it was a typo :)

I'm about to fall of my bed laughing [​IMG]. He said it was a typo!

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Lol, I know, I didn't see that they had posted again until after my reply was up! Still, it's kind of funny :lol:

6. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I can picture a hen trying to raise a couple parrots! [​IMG]

7. kellydog

kellydog New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm glad I could make everyone laugh with my typo "parrot". It was supposed to be "about". The chicks are about 3 days old. Thanks Pyxis. I will try your idea. Thanks to all for your help!!!

8. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    It wasn't the typo that was funny it was the way Pyxis explained that hens can't raise parrots

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Hey, I've seen some strange things. I decided to err on the side of caution XD But yes, it was the explaining part that was funny. We weren't laughing at you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by