baby chicks using their coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4pearsonchicks, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 4pearsonchicks

4pearsonchicks Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2015
    I put my 3 4 week old chicks in their coop during the day. At night I bring them in. I would leave them in the coop - with the heating lamp of course, but they don't go in there yet. At least during the day. In the day time they are too busy giving themselves dirt baths and enjoying their freedom. Do you think if I left them in there once they were cold they would gravitate towards the light and sleep inside their coop? Instead of cuddling together outside if they were cold? Would they be susceptible to .... well death.... if they got too cold?

2. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    They would be fine in the coop I would think. They will move under and away from light as needed. I wouldn't let them have access to a run at night. Make sure they can always get to their light and water/food.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They need to be fully feathered, another week or so before leaving outside in a coop. Don't know your climate, but best if the weather is warm enough not too need a heater lamp - if you do, please make sure it is a safe setup and avoid a coop fire.

Ours were places in the coop in mid june really warm, had to hand place them in the coop several nights and then had a regular 60 w bulb in coop to show them where to go . Still took some training to get them into the coop in the evenings.

Good luck with the transition to your coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Yeah, funny they can't grasp going in, LOL

A week ago, I put my 5 week olds out in the coop. This week, I've been working on the run and the last two days I've let them out while I finish up some nitpick odds and ends. 6 of them went in as the sun went down, the last two I had to catch and put back in. They were cuddled up against the coop with each other, chirping away........silly chickens!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by