Baby Chicks versus Juvenilles to start flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fancynancycoop, Dec 30, 2014.

1. fancynancycoop

fancynancycoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2014
    I'm a newbie in this backyard chicken raising stuff. Would you recommend starting with chicks or seeing if I can find some juvenilles for I'm desiring to do chickens for egg laying?

Any advice would be great. I'm converting a 8 by 12 lofted barn shed into coop

2. MEchickens

MEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    I was surprised by how easy raising my first flock of chicks was once I did my homework and was well prepared. I have also had four week old chicks shipped from mcmurray hatchery. It was expensive though!! It is a lot of waiting for eggs when you get chicks, but you also get a much higher level of trust in return. Best of luck! It's a lot of fun!

3. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you for the insight. I do like the low cost of chicks but not the wait of 6 months or so to get eggs. I don't lnow. Will have to research and think more.

4. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC, do you have a coop already or a place where to keep them? They grow fast and can't keep them in the house all the time. Check the forum here from your state, somebody may have some young pullets for sale. There is a lot of informatin about raising chickens and advice from other members. If you don't have a coop yet, check your local Craig's Lists, somebody may be getting out of the chicken business and you may get a bargain in a coop or some chickens.Good luck

5. ImNotYogi

ImNotYogi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2014
    Eastern NC
    Im new to this stuff as well and haven't received my chicks yet. Though my reasoning for going with chicks was it's cheaper for more. I know a few people already waiting for eggs from me. If I bought older ones then I'd only be able to afford half as many. Or even less. Short wait for eggs but not enough eggs to go around.

6. MEchickens

MEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    I think another important point to consider is that with day old chicks you have better ability to control any diseases brought into the flock and your grounds like Mareks.

7. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014
    Can you laborate a little more on controlling for disease by starting with chicks

8. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You could also consider starting with a few pullets so that you have egg production from the start and adding a roo for fertile eggs or buying some fertile eggs to hatch and continue your flock that way.

10. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014
    Thanks I was comsidering that also. Not gonna do a roo though. Only laying hens for egg production now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by