Baby Chicks w/ Beak Growth.....PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by griffinheather, Oct 9, 2012.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    Ok, there's another thread on here, but the lady who posted had no pics, so it's not getting much attention. My chicks have the same thing she's describing so I've got several pics. Not really sure what momma is, but the daddy is a white silkie (who thinks he's quite the stud, btw). Somebody suggested wet poxs? All four chicks have these, and as you can see, the 'pimple' is below the nostrils. I got a pic of the worse one and she does seem to be sensitive to it. The first pic is where the 'pimple' is starting to form, followed by the mom (if anybody has any suggestions to what she may be, throw'em out!) and a baby, then the worst little chick (so far). I think they're around 5+ weeks, and I did give them the medicated chick feed for several weeks. Thanks ya'll!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dski43

dski43 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Spring Hill, Florida
    That is exactly what my chicks have. Im sorry but my camera is not working. Do you know what this is and is it curable? I hope so now all six chicks have it and Im not sure what to do. I keep putting Iodine on the bumps praying they will get better. Thanks so much have an awsome day.

3. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    Poor things. I have never seen that but I hope that someone here can help. Good luck with your chicks.

4. dski43

dski43 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Spring Hill, Florida
    Thanks for the threads. It seems this is what we both have and Im thankful that they seem to be getting over it. Ill keep up my dillegence in treating and making them comfortable as possible. They seem to be eating drinking and acting as baby chicks do.Its just a shame Ive had to keep them apart from the rest of my flock. I have a total of 21 other hens and 2 roos. I currently have to broody hens sitting on 18 eggs so I have new arrivals in about 12 days. Its so exciting to watch a mama hen raise chicks naturally. Have an awsome day everyone and GOD bless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by