baby chicks wasting feed...

ccarver80

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Squaw gap ND
So yesterday I filled up their feEder which is just old gravity fed cat food dish probably hold a pound or two of chicken feed I noticed the other day it was gone almost instantly! I have 11 chicks right now in the brooder ranging between 2 & 3weeks...I reach my hand down there the other day and scraped away some pine shavings and I could have swore I could have filled a whole bag backup full of chick feed! they love to just go in the dish and scratch it out and throw it everywhere want to build a PVC pipe feeder but I don't know if they're big enough yet to reach it

Yep. This is what chicks do. They bill the food out of the container and make a mess. I ended up using a raised rubber bowl from the feed store for mine. Other people make a "billing guard" out of hardware cloth and insert it inside the standard chick feeder.

Raising the food dish as they grow helps as well as not refilling until they clean up their mess. Just keep the shavings dry and they'll enjoy themselves.

I modify my feeders for the chicks due to how much gets wasted.
I use a plastic lid from a throw away container and cut it out as a collar to fit around the portion inside the top of the feeder where the jar screws on. Make it snug or you can secure it with a rubber band

. This gives chicks room to feed but does not allow room for kicking the food out.

I modify my feeders for the chicks due to how much gets wasted. I use a plastic lid from a throw away container and cut it out as a collar to fit around the portion inside the top of the feeder where the jar screws on. Make it snug or you can secure it with a rubber band . This gives chicks room to feed but does not allow room for kicking the food out.
This type of feeder, even without the modifications, will make a huge difference with feed waste compared to the gravity cat food container the OP is using. @ccarver80 you might try cutting a piece of flexible plastic or thick cardboard (with large holes in like th feeder shown above) and tape it over the feeding portion of the cat feeder.

So yesterday I filled up their feEder which is just old gravity fed cat food dish probably hold a pound or two of chicken feed I noticed the other day it was gone almost instantly! I have 11 chicks right now in the brooder ranging between 2 & 3weeks...I reach my hand down there the other day and scraped away some pine shavings and I could have swore I could have filled a whole bag backup full of chick feed! they love to just go in the dish and scratch it out and throw it everywhere want to build a PVC pipe feeder but I don't know if they're big enough yet to reach it
I built mine a bucket feeder, but on a smaller scale. It worked great!

I used a 2 gallon bucket with 1 1/2" 90 elbow. That lasted a couple weeks, then built them a new one out of 2" pipe. Just today, I put a 5 gallon bucket with 3" pvc elbow for them. It sure has saved a lot of feed!

Back
Top Bottom