Baby chicks weak and dieing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okjenyp, Mar 1, 2014.

1. okjenyp

okjenyp Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    I am new to raising chicks and got a mixture of 12 chicks from Atwoods. Yesterday one of my black ones started laying around and wouldn't eat or drink. He died a couple hrs later. Now one of my red ones is doing the same thing. I gave him some sugar water by syringe and seperated from group he was kind of chilly when I picked up so I have him on a heating pad. ( it's 90 in the brooder box and all other chicks are running around playing). How can I save this poor baby???

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    The brooder should be 95 degrees for the first week. Do you have the sav-a-chick electrolyte powder, or some pedialyte or Gatorade? That helps! And I have read many people boil an egg or two and mash up the yolk and feed that to the babies to give them a huge boost of nutrients. I am so sorry one of the babies died. I wish the rest lots of luck and health <3

3. farmkids

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    Also, I know this is going to sound absolutely weird and nutty, but we rescued a baby squirrel that was only 2-3 weeks old, and I tucked him into my sports bra to keep him warm after I fed him with the syringe and pup formula. Flame me if you must, but her would snuggle right down and go to sleep. And I really think they need to cuddle as they would in the nest to thrive. Good luck!

4. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    The chicks didn't like 95 degrees. They are happy at 90. I will try the egg thing. I got him to drink some from a dropper with sugar water in it. And I have the electrolyte tablets I put in the water as well. I made him a warm buddy to cuddle up to out of a sick and rice I microwaved. I just want him to live. It is hard seeing anything die

5. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    That's where I tucked this little guy until I had his box warmed up with his rice buddy and heat pad.

6. farmkids

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    Okay, it sounds like you are doing all that can be done. Sometimes they just aren't strong enough, no matter how well we care for them. You are doing great- I never thought of the rice-filled sock! I'm filing that one away in my brain. Good luck to you and your fluffies.

1 person likes this.
  7. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    It's a waiting game now. I gave him some boiled egg yolk. He is content snuggled up with his sock buddy. I also gave the rest of the chicks some egg and omg, it was a frenzy!! It seems a little wrong feeding chicks eggs, like canabalism.... On another happy note. I threw in some fresh spinach leaves and they were running around playing chasing each other with the leaves. It was hilarious

8. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    So sorry to hear you're having problems. We went through something very similar with our first 7 chicks, lost 4 which was so hard. Hang in there, you're doing a good job dealing with it.

P.S. If you don't mind my asking, what part of KS are you from? I grew up there in NE KS, around the Topeka, Lawrence area.

10. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    I live in the wichita,ks area. I hope I don't lose that many! Hopefully this little guy will pull through. Everyone else seems to be happy and healthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by