Baby chicks wings dragging, what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shay20, Feb 14, 2009.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hello, Ok I have about 5 baby chicks that there wings look like they are dragging, like hanging down, i dont what this means, I already lost 5 chicks, due to different reasons, like a prolapse, being crushed by the others, Its not too hot in there , it was acully a bit under than what it should be, i had put a stronger bulb. They are a week old. [​IMG]

2. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    Hi,

off the top of my head-
    lead poisoning if that is an isolated sign.

If there are signs of other leg problems--metabolic bone disease, vitamin E deficiency (what are they eating)?

If upper respiratory signs, neck problems--Newcastle Disease.

Are they eating, drinking, having diarrhea, sneezing, breathing hard, what breed(s) are they and how did the others die (it may be related)?

3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    They are frizzles and cochin and polish bantams, and silkies they r a week old, and i lost 5 babys, one had aprolapsed, no sighns of sneezing nothing strange about there poop and they are drinking and eating, they all had the mareks shot. and they are on chick med feed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    i think the others died from being crushed by them. i think. And i did have them in a barrow draw out in the open coverd with a blanket at night with wood shavings. I dont see any sighns with anything wrong with there legs or breathing.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if they're chirping a lot, too cold.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    The temp read 80 last night, ahhh man i cant belive the heat is not working for them, I m goona lose another one in like i give it a half hour, and two more look worse, i need to get a heat lamp instead of a regular light bulb. [​IMG]

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Shay, these birds need better care. Too cold is a reasonable bet. What are you prepared to do to save them? Even if it were warm enough, these chicks could be killed by predators.

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Well its not preditors, they are in my house nothing canm get at them,
    I dont understand whats going on with the light, becouse when i first set it up it was reading 96. Could it be the wood shavings? i have to change it everyday becouse of it getting wet and when i feel it, the shavings feel cold becouse its wet, i know that the baby legs when they get cold can be fatal im trying so hard not let that happen but nature is going against me i put claen shavings in there cage 2 yesterday.

9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    This is what im going to do, Im not shaving anymore, im gonna ues a towel for now that way it sooks up, and wont get cold. I think that may be the promblem, my temp is on the floor where it is in the wet shavings.

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What does your thermometer read now? You might need to go up to 85 for a while now. Are other chicks pipping normally?
    Thermometer should be flat on bedding, on top.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by