Baby Chicks with Dirty Bums

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laurelsh, Apr 27, 2008.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Please help,
    I have 7 chicks that are 4 days old, and 5 of them have dirty butts. I cleaned them off by clipping off some of the dried poop, and using water. But do I need to do something else for them? They are on medicated feed already.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think if you clean them off, and watch to make sure it doesn't happen again they will be fine. [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That is not uncommon with young chicks. It is called Pasty Butt and for some reason when the first get started eating some will get it. Keep it clean and offer a bit of yogurt mixed with the food . It helps regulate the digestive system. They don't need much yogurt. It usually clears up pretty quickly. It is important to keep it cleaned off. You can hold a warm damp papertowel to the area till it softens and can be easily cleaned away.

4. laurelsh

laurelsh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Thank you for your answers. I used the yogurt, and another friend of mine suggested adding some shredded wheat to their food, which I also did. They're doing just fine!
    Laurel [​IMG]

5. mammacarol

mammacarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks for keeping these informational threads live...this helped me with my two out of seven 3 day olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by