Baby chicks with mum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by floatingchicks, Feb 17, 2013.

1. floatingchicks

floatingchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    Mekong river cambodia
    I got a hen and roo with six 1month old chicks all living in the same coop .now the hen has just started laying again ,but she seems to spend all her time with her chicks and not sitting on the eggs ,do I have to move the chicks ?????,I've got plenty off room so it not a problem . Please help nice byc people..

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The hen should wean her chicks soon. Most do it when the chicks are around 6-7 weeks old, though I've had hens go longer. She will need to go broody again to hatch more eggs and I can't say it's unlikely so soon after hatching chicks, but most hens will take a break from being a mom before hatching more eggs. So collect the eggs she's laying and give her a little more time.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I totaly agree with Sumi. Enjoy the fresh eggs and give her a little more time.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    A hen will decide when she goes broody. She needs to be with her chicks for now.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if she is laying eggs that means she is almost over her raising time.

6. floatingchicks

floatingchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    Mekong river cambodia
    Thanks people

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have one broody where the mom will stay with the chick till it is ready to go, I have another who is a good broody, but then decides she is done with a batch and gets mean to them. she mostly wants to roost and lets her babies freeze on the floor. "that is your problem" she thinks. I am not giving her any babies this year. she is pretty old retirement hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by