Baby chicks & young chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HarleyKittenn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. HarleyKittenn

HarleyKittenn Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Georgia
    I have read several posts of this subject but they all seem to talk about adult chickens with babies.

I have 2 chicks that are about a month old and we just bought 2 chicks that are only 2 days old. We put them all together and they were getting along perfectly. Merlin (we think he is a rooster) has all the chicks trying to get underneath him. He has let them do that all day but when it got late in the night he has been pecking all 3 of the chicks. The older one and the 2 new ones. He has been pecking a bunch. I don't understand cause during the day he loved them and now he seems mad. Is this normal? [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Here are some pics of all the chicks trying to snuggle under the bigger chick (Merlin) [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It depends upon your set up. As PDR states, they have huge differences in their requirements as well as size. IF you were brooding them in your coop, where they had plenty of room, and were able to separate the littles, giving them an appropriate heat source (I'm a fan of a heating pad cave) for a few days/or a week, and allowing them together when you could supervise, you would easily have them integrated and doing well together by the time the littles are 2 weeks old. Those 4 week old chicks should be weaned off heat completely if you have them in your house, and with proper conditioning should be in your coop without supplemental heat by the time they are 5 weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  4. HarleyKittenn

HarleyKittenn Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Georgia
    Thank you both! Im separating them and will do what you all suggested. Thanks again :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by