1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlesteppers, Nov 10, 2008.

1. littlesteppers

littlesteppers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    One of our hens dissapeared for weeks and finally we heard the peeping in the barn..she had 11 chicks way in the back of our hay..we moved her and the babies into a big cage..now they are about 5 weeks old and want all out..(they still with Mom..the other hens are mean to them and we have tons of cats and coons at night..how old do they have to be till I can let them all together:rolleyes:[​IMG]
    Thanks

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would start now !! It would of been easier to do it when they were younger but now is ok.... Try putting them in a pen where the others can see them but not harm them so everyone gets use to each other, then work on letting them out with everyone!! Does mama still protect them ??

3. littlesteppers

Apr 20, 2008
    Wow..thank you much for your reply..yes she is still protecting them..they "ride" on her..funny to watch..
    Soo just let them all in the coop? I open it during the day and they go in at sundown..like I aid we have at least 10 cats here..I am worried..will they try to eat them?[​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How big are they now ?? Any pics ??

They are still in a cage you said right ??

I would move the cage to a place where the others can see them but not harm them. So they get use to them.

After a few days I would let them out to join the other... There is going to be some fighting (pecking order) no matter what so just keep and eye on them.

As far as that cats go do they bug the other chickens ??

5. littlesteppers

Apr 20, 2008
    Well No..they do not mess with the grown chickens..But I see killed birds sometimes..since the chicks are so little I am worried..I do set the cage out..they all come and visit..(the other chickens)..when I clean the cage the hen just stays around the cage..waiting till I am done..I will get some pics tomorrow..thanks for your answer!

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We started ours at about 5-6 weeks. There is sometimes pecking and nastiness, but once they deal out the territory, they are fine. They get pecked a lot normally, but as long as there is no blood or cuts, (chich in some cases there are, depending on the chickens) they are generally great together.

7. littlesteppers

Apr 20, 2008
    Thank you so much..just checked the actually 4 weeks old..But healthy and meaty little buggers..lol
    I guess I will wait a few more days, since we got cold rain in the forecast..thanks for the help..it is appreciated!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I put mine initially where they can see each other but don't integrate until they are nearly the same size. I have a nursery coop I put the coops close enough to the big coop and let each flock have their own run, but all have access to the yard. I had one on top of another pecking the heck out of the one on the bottom. I batted the top bird off the bottom bird and so far have had no more trouble. If I hadn't interluded I suspect one would have been badly hurt as the bird on top was really giving the bird on the bottom a severe thrashing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by