Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cprice99, Mar 20, 2016.

1. cprice99

cprice99 New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I have 2 3 week old and 1 one week old chicks. What temperature should I keep them at and for how long. Also other than a red lamp, what is another good heat source

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

A red light or blue is the best and I would have the temp around 80 as the chicks should be growing feathers soon if not already covered in them ...

Do you have a photo of your brooder by chance [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a few of my chicks in the brooder and that was a yellow light it lets mw know the power is on [​IMG]

3. cprice99

cprice99 New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I can't figure out how to get a pic, but I'm using a large plastic bin with wood chips. I have the light about a foot or two up angled down on them. Is there ever a time I need to have it off? And if so how often?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    At chick level they should be about 95 degrees for the youngest and 85 for the older chicks. You can accomplish this by having the lamp angled to heat one side of the brooder. This leaves the other end cooloer, chicks can then decide which end is more comfortable for them. They will gravitate toward one end or the other, or maybe prefer mid ground. This was they have a choice.

Once they are fully feathered out they can transition to outdoor temps in nice weather, etc.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - DD has given you some great advice so I'll just say a big hello!

Best wishes
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by