baby chicks

chiknpeeps

Hatching
Apr 8, 2016
Grottoes Va
I need to know I haven't lost any full grown chickens to stray cats cause I still have little chicks that are in the house but will the cats kill my chickens once they are full grown? They will be locked in the coop at night and when I'm not home but I'm still a bit worried and need to know if I should start eliminating the cat population.

We have a lot of ferel cats around my neck of the woods. I never let the chicks free range until they are about 3months old. To my knowledge, the cats have never bothered any of the chickens. We've had raccoon, opossum and hawk trouble. But no cats.

If you are able to, it might be worth looking into to do something about the population. There are no kill shelters, and also some clinics will spay/neuter ferel cats for free. Then at least they are not adding to the problem.

We also have one rescued cat that hangs out with the chickens and does not bother them.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about then multiplying and I can just move them but I had a lot of chickens before with a pet cat and no problems but wasn't sure about strays thank you for your input if you anything from anyone else keep me posted but right now I have two of my bigger chickens in the house during the day and I let them in the coop and chicken run during the day the others are still to small... thank you again.

I have never had that problem before.  I know my cats don't bother the chickens at all.   Actually, they lay outside next to each other!   Welcome to BYC!  So glad you joined us!
thank you for the input I believe the cats will get their stuff to gather once they see how big the chickens get..

Back
Top Bottom