1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Artemio M., Dec 4, 2008.

1. Artemio M.

Artemio M. New Egg

Nov 20, 2008
    I ordered 12 Ameraucanas from I-deal, I wanted to know if anyone that has ordered from hatcheries. When the chicks arrive at the post office what time do they call you to let you know the chicks have arrive?

[​IMG]

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    if you live in a big city they will call you as soon as they come, usually very early in the morning, like 5am, we live in the country and the nearest big city called us at 7pm and asked if we wanted to go there and get them or have them shipped to our town in the morning.
    you might call your post office and find out what they do with chicks.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I got a call at 8 PM and had to go and pick them up right away.

4. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    I got my first shipment this morning. Yesterday, the post office said they would call me at 5am. The call came at 8am while I was on my way to work. Had to turn around and pick them up.

Ordered from Ideal and all chicks (13 barred rock pullets and 4 warmers) are extremely healthy. Dipping the beaks is a great idea, they all drank like crazy when they realized there was water.

Montyhp
    TX

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    With all the holiday packages and catalogs I imagine the post office is super busy this time of year. Back in April they called us at about 8 am and told us our chicks arrived.

6. Artemio M.

Artemio M. New Egg

Nov 20, 2008
    Thankz everyone for their reply. I will just be very alart for the phone and will pick them up as fast as possible!

[​IMG]

7. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I know that mine shipped out yesterday and were here by 9 am -- the usps is doing great right now!

8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    When I ordered mine from Ideal, they arrived around lunchtime at our local post office. They were all really healthy! It's so exciting getting new chicks!

9. irinuca

irinuca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Woodstock, GA
    It's a good idea to call the post office and let them know you expect live chicks and give them your phone number. Ask them kindly to call you ASAP once they get them. That way they won't stay in the cold for too long.

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    every post is different. they'll call.

i just had 25 delivered the other day...they are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by